HOMERECIPEChinese Cucumber Salad With Sesame Dressing
- PrepTime: 35 Mins
- CookTime: 0 Mins
- TotalTime: 35 Mins
- 1 1/4 pounds/5 pickling cucumbers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light Chinese soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Wash the pickling cucumbers and pat dry. Cut the ends off and then cut them in half, then lengthwise into quarters, and then into strips about the width of French fries.
- Place the cucumber strips in a colander and sprinkle the salt over. Let the cucumbers sit for 30 minutes. Weighing down the cucumbers during salting helps them to release more water to keep them crisp and help prevent a watery dressing from collecting at the bottom of the bowl. Do this by filling two resealable plastic bags about three-fourths full with water and placing them on top of the cukes.
- After 30 minutes are up, remove the cucumbers from the colander and pat them dry to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together the red wine vinegar, soy sauce, Asian sesame oil, brown sugar, fresh ginger root, and red pepper flakes.
- Lay out the cucumber strips in a dish and pour the dressing over. Cover with plastic wrap and chill the cucumbers for 4 hours or overnight.
- Serve the cucumber salad cold on its own or with a spicy Asian dish to help cool the palate. Enjoy!